Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Healthy soda recipes: Real Fizz Lemonade

This was my fave soda post by another blogger Holistic Squid. I liked that she had a couple of other sodas there already... But this one stuck out cos I had just bought a few punnets of strawberries on sale, and I didn't just want to do my usual thing of washing and freezing for later use. I wanted to see if I could use them in a soda. And it works!

Cultured Strawberry Soda at Holistic Squid
you should totally check them out!

I really was hoping to share a roundup of a bunch of great recipes, but well I actually only had 2 recipes I used from the net. Other wise I used these recipes as a base and swapped out the flavours for others.

The strawberry soda became... Passionfruit soda, and Raspberry soda-YUM!

Then as I talked with the kids about which flavour they would like next, Brother bear decided on Lemonade. We didn't have any lemons, but as he told me Nanny has heaps at her tree, and oranges. So he rang Nanny who happily offloaded close to a dozen lemons and oranges.
Lemonade? Yes, Please.


This is his recipe:

Tools:
Large saucepan
Knife
Zester, or fine grater
juicer
cup measure
funnel
sterile bottles for storing your lemonade (with a twist or swing top)

Ingredients:
10 Large Lemons freshly zested and then squeezed and strained.
2L Filtered water
1C sugar
1 cinnamon quill
1 vanilla bean

Method:
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, simmer 20 minutes uncovered (your house will smell delicious!)
Let sit for a couple of hours until the brew comes to room temperature 25*C- 35*C (80-100*F).
Strain and add 1C of ginger beer plant to your lemon mixture, stir and pour into your bottles. If you need more details pop over here for a tic

Leave to brew for 4-7 days, checking for fizz intensity after 4 days. My kiddos do this for me. They love to open the bottle and hear that 'Psshht'! I have to admit, it is fun.


Keep it simple. after you have made a couple of brews, you will be a seasoned professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment