Friday, 19 April 2013

The breakfast bar is open

Quinoa Date cookies, low cal, sugar free, healthy
Would you choose these from the breakfast bar?
I don't know about you, but new years resolutions kinda don't stick well. I always forget what it is I am supposed to be aiming for. Don't get me wrong, I have goals, and I get there, I'm just saying I don't know if a NYR is the best way to stick to your goals.

One of my goals this year was to find some healthy options for a quick breakfast. There are just some days that too much needs to happen before leaving the house, and my breakfast is last on the list.

Smoothies are good. Actually smoothies are great. One of my faves is a banana choc smoothie with chia and flax- no need for sweetening with the ripe bananas. And these smoothies leave me full all morning, but there is only so much smoothie I can do, so the search was on .

I was looking in particular for a breakfast bar kinda thing. They were everywhere. but not exactly what I was looking for. They all seemed to need sugar or honey or the like to bind them, that is not what I need first thing in the morning, it just makes me crave sweet things all day.
easy quick breakfast

That is until I found this recipe, it needed a little adaptation to fit my needs, but the basics were there and that is all I needed. Just to know I could do it.

Quinoa date breakky bikkis

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Quinoa flakes
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (I used Macadamias, just cos I had 'em)
1 cup dried dates chopped

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

grain free, paleo,
delicious and easy
 
Yeah that is it! I got about 17 rounds at about 65mm diameter each
 
Preheat oven to 175C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine quinoa, nuts, and coconut.
Stir in spices.
Add chopped dates and stir until well and evenly mixed. Make sure the dates are no longer sticky.

In another bowl, melted coconut oil, mashed banana and vanilla extract.
 
Combine all ingredients stir until well combined.

Spread the batter evenly onto the baking sheet, about 10-12mm high.
Or I used my scone cutter and pressed a couple of tablespoons of the batter into it for each one.
 
Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. They tend to brown at the bottom first, so be sure to be careful.
Let cool completely, store in airtight container and keep in the fridge. Or freeze, they freeze really well.
These really are a healthy breakfast option at about 80 calories each round and 2gs of fibre and protein-awesome!
This opens up the breakfast bar...bar? well It just makes making breakfasts bars easy :)
So next time you notice those bananas getting nice and ripe, get set to make these.



Good, anyway you look at it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment