Monday, 4 March 2013

Happy Birthday Au-wee Sour

Happy Birthday Sis!
It is my baby sister's birthday, or as Bunny calls her "Au-wee Sour", gotta love that precious toddler talk, where everything makes me giggle.

theGFCookie, twolicious, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, fruit flavoured



So I made you a virtual cake today, I really wanted to ship it down for you, but I was really hoping that the cookies and cupcakes will suffice till you visit our kitchen again.

I have been experimenting with flavour within the cake batter a bit lately. Bear's Preschool took out a basil plant and the kids were encouraged to snip some off to take home- so he did- a lot!

It wasn't until we got home that I realised that Bear was most probably not going to eat a dinner of basil chicken, or taste a pesto.

I had to come up with something different, so with the help of a Christmas present (from my generous husband), we juiced the basil leaves.

I had watched a Martha Stewart episode while Pregnant with Bunny, where the owner of Sprinkles Cupcakes did their strawberry cupcake by adding pureed strawberries. I wanted to use this technique with the basil juice.


gluten free, pink, raspberry buttercream,
Happy Birthday!
Basil cupcake with Raspberry buttercream, gluten free,
Basil Cupcake with Raspberry Buttercream
To my surprise-It worked.

And even better, Everyone loved them! Forget using herbs in you savoury meals, just pop a few in your cakes.

I found a combination of strawberry and basil icecream, which I wanted to try, but decided to use raspberries (gotta use what I got!), and mix it up a bit. We made frosting instead. Basil cupcakes with raspberry swirls.

So now the book was open, I kinda feel like this could work with anything. So using my fave cake I swapped out some of the liquid (about 20mls) and changed it from vanilla to raspberry, to passionfruit, to ... who knows what next.

So here is your virtual cake Sis.

TheGFCookie, twolicious, gluten free

This is the the Sprinkles recipe made gluten free:

Equipment:
  • Stand mixer is preferable, but if you've got a strong arm- go for it, use a hand whisk.
  • 2 bowls plus your stand mixer bowl.
  • measuring jug
  • whisk
  • measuring spoons
  • cupcake pan and patty papers

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole frozen raspberries, thawed and pureed
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used my own mix, but have had good results from both white wings gluten free and orgran)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 70ml cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 125g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside. I used mini cupcakes and sheet cake pans, both worked fine also with time adjustments.
  1. Place raspberries in a bowl and mush until pureed. set aside. Or use your handy dandy Kenwood fruit press attachment
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  3. In the measuring jug, mix together buttermilk and puree,set aside.
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy and almost white (this is essential for good rise). Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add eggs, beat on med-high again until fluffy and white and almost doubled in size.
  5. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the buttermilk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
  6. Divide batter evenly among prepared patty pans. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes (mini cuppies for 17minutes, sheet pan for 35minutes but always test early as oven vary). Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing


I chose passionfruit and raspberry, in fondness of the pavlovas we often devoured smothered in passionfruit straight from the vine as kids.

I'll have your piece...it tastes great.

Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment