Sunday, 20 May 2012

De-stress Baking

So hello finally from the other twolicious sister. This is my blogging debut and I am excited to join in!

Now one thing that I really enjoy about cooking is being able to create something. While the things that I create may not always be the way they were meant to be, it is all part of the experimentation process. The other thing that I love about cooking is that it is a great way to de-stress and forget about all of the worries and concerns that are going on in life...even if just for an hour or so.

And let me tell you, stress is high in my life at the moment. It sort of feels selfish to be stressed about 'first world problems', but sometimes I just can't help but have some moments of stress. I am about to start a new job in 2 weeks (yay!) but this also means that I have the enormous task of preparing a handover for my current role. I also need to buy a new phone and make my first car purchase so I can get to the new job!

 Heading to my boyfriends house, he requested some snacks for work so I thought I would make some simple choc chip cookies to satisfy his hunger throughout the day (however I still make them GF!). So I looked up a simple recipe on Taste.com.au and adapted it slightly.

Recipe:
125g butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups GF self raising flour (I used Whitewings)
3/4 cup dark choc chips

Method:
Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Cream the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer. Add the egg and the vanilla essence and mix in. Add the flour in parts, mixing in before adding more. When combined into a cookie dough, mix in the choc chips.

Form into small balls on a baking tray and cook in a preheated oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

The saucepan mixing bowl.
So in theory these would have been great biscuits, but I was faced with several bumps along the way. Cooking at my boyfriends house means that it isn't well equipped for baking. To start, I had no butter, but instead had to use margarine. Then there was no mixing bowl so I made the cookies in a saucepan. I also had no electric mixer, so I mixed the margarine and sugar together with a spoon (what a work out!). The rest of the process went OK, but I don't think I had enough flour. I put them in the oven anyway.



The end product resembled a biscuit pizza, and they were a little crumbly, but they still tasted good!
One of the better ones!


In contrast to my cooking fail, my boyfriend presented me with a delicious lamb roast and then an apple crumble to top it off! Not to mention he made the crumble gluten and dairy free! I think it was a good trade off because he was pretty happy with his choc chip cookies for his working week.
What a delicious end to the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. So I think I'll be waiting for the boyfriend to guest post so he can share his recipe for that yum apple crumble....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can someone please make MY boyfriend cook for me? PLEASE?! Also, it's pretty obvious you did the best you could considering you were forced to use margarine...come on. P.S. everything looked delicious :)

      Delete
  2. I kinda want to eat that cookie- especially since it is pizza sized!

    ReplyDelete